Using questionnaires as part of your interview process, especially if you use them in the pre-interview phase, is a terrific way to find out if a candidate will be a good “fit” for the position and your company’s culture. A good pre-interview will help you get more information about a person’s preferences, expectations and interests.
You can use a pre-interview questionnaire as a way to cull candidates from a large applicant pool. A good questionnaire also will:
- Help you reduce the number of interviews you need to conduct to find a final candidate.
- Cut down the amount of time recruiters and managers spend interviewing.
- Let the job candidate provide additional information about her background specific to the position (most people don’t customize resumes for a particular job).
- Provide you with insight into what types of job/position activities they most value and enjoy, which will help you improve the acceptance rates of your job offers.
Some employers offer candidates questionnaires that have actual interview questions; again, this cuts down on interview time.
You’ll also find out things such as whether a candidate is ethical, comfortable with change, prefers to work solo or in a team, competent, flexible, and so on.
Here are some questions you may want to have applicants answer before selecting those you invite for an interview:
- What are the type of job responsibilities/duties at which you excel?
- What attracts you to this position and company?
- What do you like most and least about your current (or last) position?
- What’s the number one reason you want to leave your current employer (left your last one)?
- What people and leadership qualities are your strongest?
- How hard do you like to work?
- Describe a situation when you feel overworked.
- What time do you typically start working?
- What kind of personal gratification do you get from your work?
- Can you provide us with a sample of your best work?
- What motivates you to perform at your very best?
- Describe your perfect manager.
Let Pinnacle Recruiting and Human Capital Solutions help you with your candidate screening with our Recruitment Process Outsourcing services. We can help Winnipeg, Manitoba area companies with every part of the recruitment process, from pre-screening all the way to post-hire.
Share this Post